The Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity
Research has shown that as people become "overweight" and "obese,"* their risk for developing the following conditions increases:1
- Coronary heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
- Liver and Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Gynecological problems (abnormal periods, infertility)
*Overweight is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or higher; obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or higher.
1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1600 Clifton Rd. Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
For more information, please see me at Norwell Athletic Club (NAC).
Yours in Health,
Owner of Simplify Holistic Nutrition